We take the environment seriously at Marko. What we serve on our plates is directly dependent on our environment's quality, so we've worked really hard to lower our impact and continue to introduce new initiatives to be better as we grow our food and our restaurant. How?
Here are some highlights:
- We power Marko with a combination of renewable electricity and use carbon offsets to compensate for any gas usage through the kitchen
- We compost and recycle all waste.
- We minimise the weight of any packaging and encourage and offer reusable options for takeaway and catering. Even our straws are made from wheat stems (gluten-free) and are 100% compostable and biodegradable.
- We engage with our suppliers to eliminate packaging where we can.
- Our cooking oil is actually pumped into the restaurant rather than using drums or bottles. It is pumped out at the end of its life and refined into biodiesel. As environmental nerds, this blows our mind, and we love it.
- We use local suppliers to improve quality, reduce waste and minimise transport. You can read more about that here.
At Marko, we work in cleaner and greener ways, so we can eventually leave no footprint behind but still make an impact.